Pastoring In A Cowboy Church

Pastoring in a cowboy church is a far different experience than pastoring in a “traditional” church. From walking in and seeing cowboy hats everywhere, and cow hides hanging on the walls, to hearing the country music played in place of traditional hymns. You trade a gym for a roping arena, pews for chairs, and the old hymn book for songs played by a country band. But ultimately it wasn’t the Western culture that made me fall in love with this church, and the cowboy church movement. It was the attention they put on going after those that nobody else wants, to winning people to Jesus Christ. In this church I have seen people that would not fit into traditional style churches, and yet they are some of the most dedicated church members that we have. 


After ten years of ministry, I thought I had experienced most of what there was in ministry to experience. That’s where God decided to take my pride and what I thought I know down a few notches. Since being here for the past year, God has taken what I thought I knew, and turned it all upside down. I have been learning the Areana ministry, learning to do youth ministry in a new and different way, and all in all God has been teaching me to loosen up and simply enjoy this new stage of ministry. 


So that’s what i have been doing, and i have to say it has been a wild ride! Learning to do things cowboy, is harder than what you might think it is. Learning to go the “cowboy way” is honestly life changing, when you truly embrace it. It’s about hard work, about being honest, and a man of your word. About speaking plain and not getting the big head. 


The goal of this church, is to reach the lost people for Christ. Now that’s easy to say, and all in all most churches would say the same thing. But, when you do it right, that vision and philosophy of ministry filters into every aspect of your churches ministry, as well as your life. 


All that being said, i am loving life in Texas. God has blessed us with an amazing church, good friends and awesome kids. It’s a new road with lots of snags and pits along the way. But, i know i am where God wants me, and that He has me doing His work. From there, its time to simply enjoy the trail God has us on, and all the happenings along the trail.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Going.......

Happenings so far!